Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hanging Lake

The last Sunday in July, I hiked the Hanging Lake Trail near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. I have always thought Glenwood Canyon is one of the most beautiful places in Colorado but I didn't know about this hike until one of my sisters from Kansas hiked it and shared her pictures on Facebook. It is only a mile to Hanging Lake but it is strenuous for those not used to the altitude.

I had read that the parking area off of I-70 quickly fills up. I got there a couple of minutes after 7:00 am and there were only a few cars in the lot.


It's about a five minute walk on a paved bike path to the actual trail head, which is on the left. You can see from the first picture below that the initial ascent was rocky and exposed. After awhile, the trail began to follow the creek.  I counted seven bridges on the way up. Near the top, there was a pretty waterfall going over mossy rocks.



First of 7 bridges

At the very top, the trail is very steep but fortunately, there are some handrails to help with the climb. There is nice bench next to the lake if you want to rest awhile and enjoy the beauty. You can also walk around the lake and get closer to the waterfalls on the opposite side. According to an interpretive sign in the sitting area, the lake is fragile. The travertine in it can be damaged even by small amounts of oil from human skin. Close to the lake, I saw yellow Columbine and purple Asters.







On the way up to the lake, I passed about ten to twelve people. I passed many more, including several families with children, on my way back down to the parking lot. The lot was almost completely full before 9:00 a.m. If you're going to do this hike, it is best to start early!



No comments:

Post a Comment