Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolved to be More Intentional

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions because I think that changes worth making are worth making now, not later. But there is something compelling about a clean slate and a fresh start. There is also something motivating about sharing your resolutions. If I tell somebody I'm going to do something, I am more likely to do it than if I just tell myself I ought to do something. My own resolutions come about from the little things about me that bug me - the things I wish I would do more or less or better. Nothing grand, nothing life changing, just little changes for the body, mind and spirit. 



Health and Fitness. Last year, I resolved to run injury free. I am happy to say that my hamstring and piriformis muscles feel much better than they did before I cut back on running. Unfortunately, my injuries aren't completely healed. I still run once or twice a week on the treadmill and I ran outside on the trails once a week in late spring and summer. (My husband is also a runner and is taking a few months off running to heal an ankle injury.) 

In 2014, I resolve to be intentional about exercising.  I intend to go to the gym 4 or 5  times a week with a plan, a plan for what cardio, stretching and strength training exercises I'm going to do. I intend to increase my core body strength - to do planks even though I hate doing them. I don't expect to increase my running much because I don't think my body is ready, yet I would like to run a few 5k races and perhaps the Bolder Boulder 10k.  And yes, my friends, I know that biking would be good for me. I intend to ride my bike more in 2014. 

Even with a regular exercise schedule, I am getting squishy in the middle. I resolve to eat intentionally to manage my weight as I ageAs much as I would like to pretend that I am still 30 something, I have to face the fact that my metabolism is slowing down and I can't eat like I used to.  According to the Mayo Clinic,  I might need to eat 200 fewer calories a day in my 50's to fight menopause weight gain

I intend to eat smaller portions - perhaps to use a salad plate for my evening meal like I do for lunch. I am also looking for ways to eat and drink smarter. I recently saw a video clip from Dr. Oz saying that eating a small amount of cheese with each meal helps prevent the storage of belly fat. I also recently read that there are health benefits to combining green tea with carbohydrates. Since I eat cereal almost every day, I have been having a cuppa green tea as I get ready for work each morning.

Mind and Spirit. A couple of things happened this year that made me want to be a better person. A teacher at the neighborhood charter school waits at the curb a couple of times a week for parents to pick up kindergarten kids. A few times now, she has motioned for me to slow down as I accelerate up the hill to the stop light on my way back to work after lunch. It makes me mad! I don't think I drive any faster than anyone else drives through the neighborhood. That is not the point. I know I drive faster than 20 miles per hour so I should slow down. I resolve to drive slowly in school zones and neighborhoods. Don't take things so personally.

The other thing that happened this year that prompted a resolution was an unpleasant encounter with an acquaintance on Facebook. I expressed my frustration with Congress' handling of the debt limit. This man, like many Americans, blames our country's economic issues on Obama and the poor. Seeing how much discord there is prompted my resolution to be an instrument of God's love and peace.


I also intend to watch less political news/opinion shows on TV. Just like party politics, these TV shows can be adversarial, dishonest, divisive, and arrogant. I believe that the things we put into our minds have an effect on our words, attitudes, actions and hopes. So I intend to focus on things that are good, commendable, worthy of praise.
Philippians 4:8 English Standard Version (ESV)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
On this positive note, I wish you a blessed and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Now this is why I don't make New Year's resolutions. Just reading yours makes me tired :)

    ReplyDelete