Tuesday, November 21, 2017

A Special Place in Hell


When news of Charles Manson's death came out, I read comments on social media rejoicing that he is now in hell. It made me think about how much we count on God's judgment, especially when human justice is so inadequate, as it was for Manson. This got me to thinking about how little I know about hell. 

Jesus had more to say about hell than anyone else in the Bible. He described it as a dark, fiery place where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, he taught that there is a chasm between heaven and hell that no one can cross. 

I have always thought about hell as a place of endless suffering and separation from God. And just as I imagined that the righteous immediately go to heaven when they die, I imagined that the wicked immediately go to hell.

But according to What is hell like? on BibleInfo.com, the fires of hell have not started burning yet. The wicked will be reserved for judgment day - the day of doom. The fires of hell will not burn forever but will burn out. The article poses an interesting question:
Have you considered the following? If people were tormented forever in hell how could all things be made new? Additionally, how could all tears be wiped away if you were saved and happily living in an earth recreated, but could still see loved ones burning in hell for eternity? Eternal life for you in heaven would be eternal torment as you continually saw those you loved in unending agony. 
I don't like to imagine anyone burning in hell for eternity, not even the really evil, like Manson or Hitler. God is far more merciful and compassionate than I am. But I would like to think that God would fit the punishment to the crime. Would it be fair for Manson to meet exactly the same fate as someone who is guilty of lying or stealing?

I'm reading a book that mentioned Inferno, the first part of Dante's poem Divine Comedy, which I have never read. Dante imagined nine concentric circles of hell, increasing in degrees of wickedness from the outside to the inside. The circles represent different sins - lust, greed, wrath, etc. The devil is in the very center, condemned for the sin of treachery against God.

I would like think that there is a special place in hell for people who commit the most heinous crimes. But even if there isn't, I trust God's judgment. I know He hates evil. And I feel better knowing that the world now has one less psychopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment