Sunday, November 19, 2017

Extraordinary Gratitude

One of my favorite holidays is almost here, the annual day of thankfulness and excessive eating. So far this year I haven't read the usual 30 days of thankfulness posts. Although I have never participated in the 30 days of gratitude challenge myself, I am grateful for public displays of thankfulness, even the obligatory one I participated in yesterday.

Last night, at my church's small contemplative service, my pastor passed the mike around so everyone could say what they are thankful for. I listened to the usual responses - pregnancies, grandchildren, marriage, family, jobs. While I waited for the mike to get to me, I worried about what I was going to say. Grace? Family? My marriage? The good job I was blessed with after taking a leap of faith and quitting the one I hated? I dread public speaking so I just wanted to get it over with. When my moment came, my answer was no more deep and reflective than anyone else's. Family, marriage, job.

A couple of people said they are thankful for a Christian spouse, Christian kids, the Christian spouses of Christian kids. That's all good and nice if you live a life insulated from people who aren't like you. But I don't. And I thought to myself, I am thankful even if my husband is not a Christian. The One who created my inmost being and knit me together in my mother's womb knew the choices I would make.

Of all the expressions of gratitude, I thought one  was extraordinary. On the other side of the aisle, the mike was passed from one family member to another. The boy of the family said that after reading a book about coins and money, he is grateful for our monetary system! His answer appealed to me because there are so many things in life we old folks take for granted. The young and curious see the world with fresh eyes.

This morning as I drank my coffee, I read Garrison Keillor's post, A Trip to New York. I appreciate his quirky sense of humor. I appreciate the perspective of an old grump who can still say "It's good to be old. Every day is an adventure." After misplacing his driver's license and having his I-phone die on him, he wrote, "my phone is a God-given miracle. With this and my driver's license, I can go anywhere." The old remember what things used to be like. Every day truly is an adventure.

With the wisdom of the young and old in mind, I pause at the beginning of this week of thanks to express my gratitude for the ordinary and extraordinary things in my life.
  1. Convenience foods - like my morning OJ and banana
  2. Microsoft Excel. I couldn't work without it.
  3. Office supplies - Post It notes, Sharpies, dry erase markers.
  4. The body's ability to heal and protect itself
  5. Pain that fades so quickly I can't even remember where I got that bruise.
  6. Books
  7. The public libraries that lend out those books. For free.
  8. Netflix
  9. Crossword puzzles to expand my vocabulary and keep my mind sharp
  10. Sweet and salty granola bars and other delightful flavor combinations
  11. Good bosses
  12. Blue jeans
  13. Technical tees for my sweaty workouts
  14. Reusable grocery bags
  15. Printed and digital newspapers
  16. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
  17. Memories of loved ones I have lost
  18. Comfortable shoes, especially sneakers
  19. Baby belly laughs and Macey's giggles
  20. Electricity
  21. Prayer
  22. Lightening, thunder and rainbows
  23. The First Amendment
  24. Second chances
  25. Ibuprofen
  26. Personalities
  27. Music - rock and roll, classical, the blues, gospel and soul
  28. Oceans and beaches
  29. Diversity
  30. Givers, servers, volunteers
My list could go on an on.

I am grateful even if. Even if things don't always go right. Even if I don't have a perfect life. Even if my prayers aren't always answered the way I hoped. Even if I have fears about the future.

Even if. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment