Friday, May 23, 2014

Both Blessed and Humbled!

My niece recently shared The Humanist article Are You Blessed or Just Bragging? by Meghan Hamilton. Hamilton writes that the use of the word blessed "has spiraled out of control to the point where the word "blessed" is meaningless." I don't doubt that the word blessed is misused by some, but it is obvious that Hamilton's objection has nothing to do with what a person is grateful for (whether significant or trivial) and nothing to do with a person's self esteem (whether they're bragging or not proud enough). No, the reason for Hamilton's criticism is that the object of a believer's gratitude is God. In her own words, she "can't possibly see why anyone would want to dedicate their accomplishments to the "blessings" of a god." 

Hamilton notes that there is an "ongoing trend of immediately attributing accomplishments or good fortune to God's blessing." The use of #blessed or #anything in social media is certainly a new trend but humans have been worshiping the Creator since the beginning of time. So why is it that believers are so quick to thank God for the positive things in their lives? I can give you a few good reasons.

1. The Creator is greater than the created. Humans did not create the universe, the laws of nature, nor the building blocks of life. We cannot take credit for the amazing genetic language that defines our very being, for the gifts with which we are born. When I consider the splendor of God's creation, the fine tuning of the universe, I am filled with awe and wonder. I am humbled by God's omniscience and omnipotence. Anything I accomplish pales in comparison. Ascribe to the Lord, the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.

2. Humans fall short of God's glory and holiness. We are sinful and disobedient. Our sin comes with a price - death. We don't deserve God's forgiveness. Yet he loves us so much, he sent a Savior to redeem us. When I consider the depravity and selfishness of mankind, I am grateful for God's grace and mercy.  In my own brokenness and disobedience, I am humbled by God's holiness. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

3. God promised to bless his people. About 600 B.C., the prophet Ezekiel foretold the coming of the Messiah (Ezekiel 34). Using an analogy of a shepherd and his flock, he criticized the shepherds of Israel for taking care of themselves while treating the flock harshly and neglecting the weak, sick and lost. God was not pleased with this. He promised to search for his sheep and to look after them. He said he would save his flock and place a Shepherd over them. He said they will know that I am with them. I will bless my people and their homes around my holy hill. And in the proper season, I will send the showers they need. There will be showers of blessing.

Jesus, the Good Shepherd, taught a way of life that leads to heavenly blessings. The qualities Jesus listed in The Beatitudes are in stark contrast to the human desires for power, material rewards, recognition for accomplishments, etc. - the worldly values that Meghan Hamilton holds dear.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are they who mourn, 
for they shall be comforted. 
Blessed are the meek, 
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 
for they shall be satisfied. 
Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall obtain mercy. 
Blessed are the pure of heart, 
for they shall see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers, 
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, 
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


As a Christian, I confirm Hamilton's suspicions about believers - we really do believe that God steps in to influence events in a way that blesses us. We believe that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. We even believe that being mocked for our faith is a blessing.  So thank you Meghan for inspiring me to share my faith in response to your criticism!

As for Hamilton's suggestion that people who say they are blessed are bragging, bragging implies pride. So why does Hamilton conclude her commentary by saying that "we need to feel proud of ourselves?" Why does she say that if you give credit to God, it "completely undermines your ability and depreciates everything you have done to earn it?" I give credit to God for the blessings in my life, for the things that I have accomplished and even for the trials I have overcome because he made me. God does not diminish me - He lifts me up when I am weak.

One final comment. Ms. Hamilton encouraged her readers to take credit for their accomplishments because "We need to feel significant in something and to somebody." Meghan, regardless of what we've accomplished, we are more than significant to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment