Monday, June 3, 2013

Colorado Wildflowers - Lair o' the Bear in May

My last trail run in May began at Jefferson County's Lair o' the Bear Park near Morrison, Colorado. I say my run began there because after a mile or so the Bear Creek Trail crosses into Corwina Park, which is part of the Denver Mountain Parks open space. The Lair o' the Bear part of the trail is a fairly flat gravel trail alongside the creek. After the trail crosses into Corwina Park it becomes more steep and rocky.

I saw chiming bells, wild delphiniums, and mouse ear on this run though not as many as on some of the other trails. The first part of the trail from the Lair o' the Bear trail head is the Creekside Trail. There are shrubs along the trail including the white one below. I saw another shrub with some bell shaped blooms but the breeze was blowing so hard that day that I didn't get a good picture of it. There were also a lot of weeds called Spurge along the Creekside Trail. 



Spurge (noxious weed)
The yellow wildflower below is one that I had not seen yet in May; I believe that this is a Heartleaf Arnica. I remember seeing some pretty yellow flowers like this on a forested trail in the mountains a few years ago after an especially wet winter.
Heartleaf Arnica
On Memorial Day at Mount Falcon, I saw purple flowers like the one below. This bell-like flower is called Sugar Bowl. It is also known as Hairy Clematis and Leather Flower. There were several Sugar Bowls on the the Bear Creek Trail, growing singly rather than in clumps.

Sugar Bowl
One of the yellow flowers that I saw at Mount Falcon on Memorial Day was a flower that I initially thought was Whiskbroom Parsley, however, I now know that there is a similar flower called Mountain Parsley. Whiskbroom is a cooler name. Evidently, Whiskbroom has stiffer leaves. I have not yet become that observant in my wildflower viewing!

Mountain Parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment