Saturday, May 25, 2013

Colorado Wildflowers - Deer Creek Canyon in May

My second trail run of the season was at Deer Creek Canyon in Jefferson County, CO. This is one of my favorite parks because there are several trails to choose from, including a couple of hiker only trails, like Homesteader. The trailhead has a couple of picnic areas and restrooms. I usually manage to get in a six mile run.

The meadows down below are really green now with all the rain we've had this month. The wildflowers were also in full bloom.




Last week, I took a picture of Mouse Ear, also known as chickweed, at Chimney Gulch. They were blooming like crazy at Deer Creek. 

Mouse Ear
Since I see mostly yellow and purple wildflowers, I was pleasantly surprised to discover yet another white flower this week at Deer Creek Canyon. This perennial with fern-like leaves is called Drummond's Milkvetch. It grows in many of the western states. According to a Montana plant website, milkvetches may be toxic to livestock and wildlife.

Drummond Milkvetch
Last week, I posted a picture of one of the flowering white shrubs I saw at Chimney Gulch in Golden, CO. Below is a picture of one of the flowering trees that I saw near the streams on both trails.



One of the purple flowers that I fell in love with when I first saw it, because it is such a deep purple color (and this Wildcat loves purple!), is Larkspur. When I stopped to take a photo, the friend I was running with called it Wild Delphinium. I had to look up the flower again to make sure I got it right and found that it is known by both names.

Larkspur

Another purple flower that is blooming right now is Chiming Bells, also known as Foothills Mertensia.

Foothills Mertensia
This week, I saw a couple of yellow flowers that I did not see at Chimney Gulch - Golden Banner and Golden Groundsel. According to the Southwest Colorado Wildflowers website, Golden Banner grows quickly after snow melt. I also saw a few potentilla blooms. 

Golden Banner
Golden Groundsel
Next week my run will be at Lair O' the Bear Park where perhaps I can check in on the gnomes that were next to the trail last year.



No comments:

Post a Comment