Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dream Weaver, I Believe You Can Get Me Through...

I have had climbing dreams occasionally since I was a little girl - dreams that I'm climbing steep stairs or a hill. In just the past month or so I have had three similar dreams about climbing and not being able to get to the top. The first one involved climbing a stone wall up to a bridge; as I got closer to the top, I couldn't find a toe hold. In dream two, I climbed up a steep embankment next to a road where the soil was really loose. When I reached the top, I tried to pull myself up by grabbing onto a guard rail but I couldn't grasp it. In my latest dream, I was making my way up some stairs by climbing through the bars of the railing. Suddenly the bars got so close together that I couldn't get through.

I wouldn't say that I am overly fearful of heights but I sure like to have my feet on the ground. Several years ago, my husband and I hoped to hike up to the Longs Peak Keyhole. The view on the other side of the Keyhole is supposed to be pretty incredible. The Keyhole is only 1.5 miles beyond Boulder Field but it really isn't that easy because the rocks become more steep. I remember getting to the point where I was too afraid to take another step because my feet were slipping on the rocks. It was frustrating to be so close yet give up because of my fear. Yet I told myself it was okay because I trust my self-preservation instincts. 

Having so many of these unsuccessful climbing dreams so close together makes me think that my mind is telling me something, something that is really not that mysterious. I want to climb and I'm making progress but I can't finish the climb because I don't feel secure - too much anxiety and self-doubt.
Manitou Springs Incline

Remember the song Dream Weaver? It's interesting to see what Gary Wright said about the song's meaning:
'Dream Weaver, I believe you can get me through the night...' was a song about someone with infinite compassion and love carrying us through the night of our trials and suffering. None other than God Himself.
God has carried me through every single trial I have been through so I'll know he'll help me overcome my self doubts. He is truly My Rock.


The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. - Psalm 18:2

No comments:

Post a Comment