Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Running Resolutions

I spent most of 2012 frustrated by a couple of running injuries that developed in 2011. In the spring of 2011, I ran my second half marathon and in the fall, I did a ten mile run. I ended up with a hamstring strain in my left leg and piriformis syndrome on my right side. This year I continued to run on the treadmill a couple of times a week and did the Cherry Creek Sneak 5 mile, BolderBoulder 10k, Red Rocks 5k, and a couple of other 5k "mud" runs. I also ran on trails once a week from May to September. Even though I wasn't running long distances, my pain persisted, though it wasn't debilitating. Once the piriformis pain started creeping up into my lower back though, I figured I ought to get more serious about rehab because I hope to continue running long-term.

My friend Bill recently recommended that I try ChiRunning. I had read reviews of the ChiRunning book by Danny Dreyer and had even attended a short class on this running approach at my athletic club. The main thing I remembered about the class was that we were told to lean forward when we run and to tilt the pelvis. I also read reviews about other books about running form but the reviews were mixed about what works and what doesn't. Last year, I ended up buying a book that I thought was pretty worthless. Since Bill said that ChiRunning helped him out, I decided to give it a shot. I am also going to read a book called Tread Lightly by Peter Larson and Bill Katovsky.


Notes on ChiRunning so far:
  • Chi is defined as the energy created by movement or life force energy
  • ChiRunning is based on the skill of "body sensing" or connecting the mind with the body
  • Unlike the ChiRunning mindset, the traditional power training mindset is results oriented - being driven by something outside yourself - like my 10k or half-marathon goals
  • The power running approach involves pushing yourself forward with your legs, working against gravity
  • ChiRunning "cooperates" with two forces - gravity and the force of the road
  • If you run with a heel strike, it acts as a brake; the ChiRunning method uses a mid-foot strike
  • Running injuries are caused by overtraining, training beyond your body's capabilities
My one disagreement with what I have read so far is that Dreyer says that strength training leads to injury. In his words, it requires "endless hours building and maintaining muscles, drinking protein shakes to feed those hungry muscles, and taking ibuprofen to relieve sore muscles." In my opinion, these are just excuses to avoid doing something you don't want to do. I try to strength train at least two or three times a week because there are many benefits of strength training. I don't have to eat extra protein and I rarely get sore.

I attribute my running injuries to overtraining, muscle imbalances and poor body mechanics. Part of it is the way I'm built. I have runners knee, an injury that affects many more women than men because we have wider hips, placing more stress on the knee. So I'm going to use a multi-pronged approach in my running resolutions - cutting back on running pace and distance, strengthening my core, hips, quads, and hamstrings, and improving my running form.
Originally posted by author on 12/12/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment